Design That’s Online – Student Store 2020

Grace Hastert and Camille Dissel

A loud beep filled room 500A as steam escaped the large heat press in the back left corner of the room. Senior Blythe Bolar opened the press and grabbed the pre-made blue tie-dye sweatshirt. 

The infamous Lancer Lips sweatshirt took its place. She made her way down to the cafeteria and placed it on the front line of the student store. 

Every Tuesday and Thursday at 7:40 a.m., 25 seniors and Mercedes Rasmussen met in a WebEx call to brainstorm new designs and ideas that would promote school spirit

The student store could always be found in the corner store of the cafeteria, but because of remote learning, the staff adapted and switched to online selling. 

Hise created a new and improved student store website to organize online shopping during the schools’ remote period.

The Wix.com website was constantly being updated with new products and they had even added a unique function to place a custom order.

“The website we had before this year was poorly designed,” Hise said. “It didn’t give any idea of what the student store is or what they’re selling.”

Seniors Blythe Bolar and Brooke Blair were on the design and production team for the student store. They spent most of their time in class brainstorming new and interesting designs.

“We have the stores split into seven or eight different sections,” Blair said. “I’m on the design and production team. I’m in charge of making it and like coming up with the ideas for the products and then actually making them.”

The design and production team was in charge of designing the vinyl needed for each clothing item, and then ultimately producing the end product. 

“A lot of people choose student store because it’s supposed to be more fun and easy,” Bolar said. “But it was definitely a bit of a time commitment the first few weeks.”  

All of the different teams in the student store worked together to create a functioning and thriving business. 

Although they adapted to switching to remote selling- it didn’t come easily. The team struggled not having the ability to brainstorm and feed off each other’s ideas. 

“You kind of have limited time to plan different designs and discuss,” Hise said. “It’s more self-driven.” 

Each person in the store was able to drive each other to create new ideas everyday. With many pieces sold to date- they gained even more of a following with each student at East.