A New Perspective: Lancer Day 2016

Holly Frigon

Senior Ellie Mitchell stands below the podium at the Lancer Day parade pep rally clinging onto every word, knowing this would be her last. A few feet and many sweaty bodies behind, freshman Will Harding remembers his middle school school days when he wished to be in the mob of high schoolers. Now he was in that mob. He was a part of East. 

Rewind to 7:40 that morning. Harding’s leg twitched as he waited in Geometry for the Lancer Day countdown to begin while the pep band entered the hallway. After wondering if he was imagining it, he chanted the East fight song as the band marched past the door.

Just classrooms away, Senior Ellie Mitchell heard the familiar sound music that signaled the start of her favorite day of the year. 

Drumline was announcing the start of Lancer Day.

“On any other day, no one’s really into [school spirit],” Mitchell said, “But on Lancer Day, everyone’s just so hyped.”

As the day continued, Mitchell and Harding waited for the 1:10 bell to ring that served as a warning for all students: 30 minutes until the extravaganza began. Mitchell raced to senior Kendall Dunbar’s house where a group of girls were getting ready as the clock ticked down. 

Walking into the basement, Closer by Chainsmokers blared from the speakers as girls dashed to get ready. Mitchell looked at her friends dancing on the pool of multi-colored glitter that had carpeted the floor. She jumped into the celebration.

Down the street, Harding raced to freshman Charlie Brouillette’s house to get his camo USA wear for the freshman float. With 15 minutes left, he tied his American bandana around his forehead and left with his friends for the parade.

Arriving back at school, the two climbed onto their class floats with little time to spare. The floats seemed to crawl onto Mission Rd. and the parade began. 

Mitchell sat on the front of her senior superhero float wearing her blue Powerpuff Girl tutu and waved to people on the street, while Harding hurled handfuls of Twizzlers, Whoppers and Kit Kats into the antsy flock of kids on the street grinning from ear to ear.

The parade came to a close. It was time for the pep rally. 

The drums rang out, Boom! Boom! *clap* “East!” The chant started it all. 

Students blended together to form a student body. It didn’t matter who you were, because now you were East.

“It definitely made me feel like I was actually a student at East, like I was a part of the school,” Harding said.