Fearless Creators: Art 2016

Emily Walter

Devotion. Junior Ashton Baker had a connection to art starting as a young child. When given a blank sheet of paper, her creativity bursted off the page and excelled those around her. By middle and high school, Baker immersed herself in hyperrealism drawings, where the subject resembled a high resolution photograph and had more enhanced details. Using graphite to draw out detailed black and white portraits was her medium, her passion and greatest talent. But as a student in two of Mr. Finke’s classes, he encouraged her to branch out. He wanted to see her incorporate stories and meaning into her artwork rather than just drawing pictures. So, Baker temporarily put down her graphite pencil and opened up the door to colors. Baker worked in small steps to master drawing with color- eyes, then add a nose, then create the face and body. Frustration set in while figuring out how to blend or choose the right colors, but she knew it would take practice and asking other artists’ tips on working with color. Baker’s complete drawings of brightly colored animals soon sat behind glass displays of the art hallway. Proof that any great artist could change up their style and dare to step out of their comfortable medium.  

Bold. The first step for junior Gabby Perdomo was quitting band freshman year to make room for an art class. It would be her first chance to test out her interest in art. A chance to one day be like the artists at First Fridays or the professors at the Art Institute of Kansas City. But it would all begin on the art floor at East. Perdomo’s passion quickly grew through Mr. Rolland’s drawing and painting classes until she found her medium as a fauvist painter. This type of painting, characterized by vivid colors, caught her eye and attributed to her style in portraits- warm colors for the light parts of the face, cool colors for the shadows. Fauvism was satisfying and comfortable, but part of her as an artist seeked variety. Realism art was a contrast to fauvism that Perdomo wanted to pursue. Some canvases with realism attempts would be stacked and left unfinished in the corner of her room, but Perdomo knew it was a matter of practice and taking her time. From there, she could continue to branch out of her traditional ways and reach the next stages in her art career.